Anglezarke

Discussion of sightings in and around the Chorley area.

Moderator: Neil Southworth

Paul Hodson
Peregrine

Anglezarke

Post by Paul Hodson »

A long and squelchy hike over the moors today, the highlight being 2 Jack Snipe that we flushed whilst trying to negotiate a quagmire between Round Loaf and Spitlers Edge.

Other sightings. Dean Black Brook. Kestrel 2. Grey Wagtail 2. Stonechat 6

Anglezarke Moor.. Raven. Peregrine. Common Snipe and Several Meadow Pipit

Not much on the reservoirs, just a few Mallard and 2 Buzzard overhead on Yarrow, nothing at all on High Bullough, and on Anglezarke there were c20 Mallard and a party of 12 ducks on the opposite bank that I think were Gadwall but they were too far away for me to be 100% sure

Jack Snipe takes my score to 120
Leonard Poxon
Little Egret

Re: Anglezarke

Post by Leonard Poxon »

This morning there were more ducks on Anglezarke, with at least 30 mallard and a flock of 24 other ducks were put up and came back down. In the air they appeared to be mainly Gadwall but there were at least 2 male Wigeon amongst them. On the water there seemed to be more than 24, but I could not get a good enough focus on them to make them out individually as they were so far away.

On the 'island' were 9 Cormorant, 12 BH Gulls, 3 juvenile large gulls and 2 mid grey gulls with washed out yellow legs.

Alongside the reservoir I also noted 2 Treecreeper, Great Tit and Coal Tit. There were also 2 Gray Squirrel and Porcelain fungus and Honey fungus.

Gadwall takes my Chorley Nats area species count to 132.
John Frankland
Peregrine

Post by John Frankland »

Thanks Paul and Len.

Went for a late afternoon walk in search of the elusive Gadwall and was duly rewarded ! I reckon about 35 *Gadwall in total and at least 1 Wigeon seen.

Also 15-20 Cormorant near the island and a Grey Wagtail by the north wall.

Len - did you get any pics of the mid grey gull with yellow legs ? I saw the same amongst about 6 LBB gulls and certainly one looked interesting with binocs before they all took flight whilst I was setting up the scope !

*Gadwall takes me to 135 species for the year.
Leonard Poxon
Little Egret

Post by Leonard Poxon »

John, I got a couple of photos , see below:

I think it is a pale coloured Lesser Black Backed Gull as the streaking on the head is too dark for a Yellow Legged Gull or a Caspian Gull.
John Frankland
Peregrine

Post by John Frankland »

Yes I agree with LBB Gull for those ones.

There were certainly different shades but maybe all were LBB.

Cheers.

Return to “Recent Sightings”