Bretherton eyes floods .

Discussion of sightings in and around the Chorley area.

Moderator: Neil Southworth

gary lilley
Avocet

Bretherton eyes floods .

Post by gary lilley »

The flood near to the douglas was rammed with birds this evening ( at least 700 birds ) the majority were canada geese and mallards also present pinkfoots , greylags , 1 barnacle , at least 1 pure white goose , 7 whooper swan ( 3 juv ) , 3 mute swan , small numbers of teal and lapwings , 1 male pintail ( probably same bird as the other day going off plumage ) and no doubt some species missed , bonus bird was a jack snipe which i flushed at my feet as tried to get nearer to the flood , also a few skylark about , and a gs pecker in flight .
John Frankland
Peregrine

Re: Bretherton eyes floods .

Post by John Frankland »

You must have been there earlier than me as I only arrived at 615pm but wished I'd been there half an hour earlier when I saw the number of birds present ! Maybe I would have got the barnacle and pintail with more time and light.

Quite an impressive sight and sound though. I don't remember the flood as busy as tonight whilst I've been watching it.

Cheers.
gary lilley
Avocet

Post by gary lilley »

Yes john just missed you , quite an incredible numbers of bird for such a small area , i got quite near to the birds walking from the rough field using the tall vegetation as a makeshift hide this is were i viewed the pintail from although i picked out the barnacle from the bridge , sounds like my quick estimate of 700 birds were not far off going off your counts .
Neville Root
Raven

Post by Neville Root »

12.30-1.15 similar numbers (500 to 600) of pink foots at lunchtime today. Not a lot of room for anything else, but still good numbers of BH gull, lapwing, swans (7 whooper, 3 mute) and starling - no waders or other waterfowl to be seen on the flood. Nearby several skylark, flock of linnet (40), 2 buzzards being mobbed by 3 crows, kestrel hunting. On the Douglas only mallard (c.60), single moorhen, pr of grey wags over and LT tit flock in the willow tree (by the bridge).
John Frankland
Peregrine

Post by John Frankland »

Arrived a little earlier tonight managing 540 to 640.

Thought it was crowded on the flood last night until I arrived tonight !! Word is definitely spreading in the Goose community.

Whooper Swan 9
Mute Swan 3
Pink-footed Goose c2000
Canada Goose c300
Greylag Goose c100
Barnacle Goose 2 together
Farmyard Goose 2
Mallard c 150
Wigeon 1m but no sign of the Pintail.
Lapwing 20
Buzzard 1
Grey Heron 1

Also a lesser spotted Hodson skulking in the distant undergrowth before he joined me by the bridge !

Roe Deer 4
Neil Southworth
Avocet

Post by Neil Southworth »

I was there between 3.00 and 4.30 pm just as the pinkfeet were dropping in. The two Barnacles were with the pinkfeet so there must be a good chance of them being genuine wild birds. There was a pair of Wigeon and I'm pretty sure I saw a Pintail in partial eclipse plumage. Other sightings for the record included Pheasant 20+, Moorhen 6, BH Gull c200, Skylark 8, Pied Wagtail, Meadow Pipit and Long-tailed Tit.
John Frankland
Peregrine

Post by John Frankland »

Quick 15 minutes this morning and already full like last night

Whoopers increased to 24 including 2 families with 3 and 4 juveniles.
Pintail 1 eclipse or young male
Teal 1

Numbers estimated at 2-2500 in total with majority being pink feet, similar split to last night.

Definitely recommended to anyone with more time to scan through.
Neil Southworth
Avocet

Post by Neil Southworth »

Much the same this afternoon, but I only managed 21 Whoopers. At one stage a guy decided to walk across the field and put everything up. Most of the pinkfeet and whoopers relocated across the river. The only duck seen were Mallard. Full sightings:-
Whooper Swan 21
Mute Swan 3
Pink-footed Geese c2,500
Barnacle Goose 1
Greylag Geese c50
Canada Geese c400
Hybrid Geese 2
Mallard c30
Buzzard
Kestrel
Pheasant min 20
Lapwing c25
Gulls (BH, Common, Herring) c1,000
plus Woodpigeon, Skylark, Meadow Pipit, Crow, Jackdaw, Starling and Goldfinch
John Frankland
Peregrine

Post by John Frankland »

Called in again 545 to 620
Whoopers slightly down at 16-18 with only one family group (the one with 3 juveniles). 3 Mute.
Pink feet I reckon have increased again to c3500 including c2000 over the Douglas and c1500 around the floods.
Pintail 1
Other Geese similar to Neil although I'd say more than 50 Greylag and didn't pick out any barnacle.

There was a hybrid Canada/Greylag with dark brown front from neck downwards, Canada white ear flash and pink beak - different !!
Neville Root
Raven

Post by Neville Root »

For those thinking of heading out to Eyes Lane this morning I wouldn't bother. Dozens of geese carcasses being loaded onto an offroader. Must have been one of the easier 'turkey shoots'. Safe to say not a lot else around (the geese are widely staying to the skies).

Return to “Recent Sightings”