Out and about

Discussion of sightings in and around the Chorley area.

Moderator: Neil Southworth

Leonard Poxon
Little Egret

Out and about

Post by Leonard Poxon »

Chorley Cemetery, late morning:-

Birds seen/heard - 7 Magpie, 3 Woodpigeon, Jay heard, Goldcrest heard, at least 2 Nuthatch heard, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Robin, Blackbird.

Odonata:- 2 Azure Damselflies.

Lepidoptera:- 1 Speckled Wood butterfly.

Mammals:- 5 Grey Squirrel.

Fungi - 1 of 'The Miller' was the only fungi seen (been a poor year so far at this venue).

Great Knowley, early afternoon:- 2 Green Veined White & 1 Peacock butterfly.
1 Kestrel.

Hic Bibi, late afternoon:-

Birds seen/heard - 1 Willow Warbler, Willow Tit heard, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Robin, Blackbird, Jay heard, Magpie, Wren, 5 Swallow over.

Odonata - 1 Brown Hawker, 1 Common Darter (f).

Fungi - Puffball, Giant Funnel & 3 others yet to be identified.
tony
Raven

Re: Out and about

Post by tony »

It's strange Len, even with all the wet weather there aren't many fungi around yet. we had a look at white Coppice last week - nothing on the cricket field at all, few blushers, brown birch boletes and a few amanita muscaria coming through, but there were plenty of the miller.
Joyce Riley
Goldeneye

Re: Out and about

Post by Joyce Riley »

When I was the society's fungi recorder, I was always interested to see the variation in abundance of some species from year to year. I tried to reflect this in my annual reports. It is particularly obvious in Fly Agaric, a distinctive and brightly coloured common species that everyone can identify. One Autumn I asked members to send in every record of that species and continue to do so for several years. After a good response the first year, members except for a few soon lost interest! Obviously it looks like it is going to be 'the year of The Miller'
Good hunting.

Return to “Recent Sightings”