Fallow Deer?

Discussion of sightings in and around the Chorley area.

Moderator: Neil Southworth

Lee Harrison
Barn Owl

Fallow Deer?

Post by Lee Harrison »

I've just pulled up in bretherton to have my dinner on a side road between Cocker Bar Rd and Ridley ln. Looking east towards Whymott Brook (I think this land eventually leads upto the Garth prison and the old landfill site) I saw 4 female Fallow Deer with at least two young bouncing around in the long grass. I don't ever recall seeing Fallow Deer in the North West before. Are there many sightings around the Chorley area.

Also yellow hammer singing

Lee
Ian Ryding
Woodpecker

Re: Fallow Deer?

Post by Ian Ryding »

Lee, There is a small population around Stannings Folly, the prison, the old tip and the old ammo dump. They are known to range as far as Moor Road in Croston, around the E-shaped pond and the land around Moss Lane and North Road in Bretherton. I suspect they are ranging further now as the population has built up. Iv'e seen up to 14 at one time.

They are from captive stock and a reliable source told me they were deliberately released. I don't know when they were released but I first saw them in Stannings Folly in spring 2014, there were 7 then.

Cheers

Ian
gary lilley
Avocet

Post by gary lilley »

There is a small herd of around 7 seen in the Eccleston /Euxton / charnock richard area , ive been told also they were released oringinally in the wymott area , great to see though :) .
Neil Southworth
Avocet

Post by Neil Southworth »

Our records for Fallow Deerin the Wymott area go back to at least 2008.

Return to “Recent Sightings”