E Shaped Ponds to Eyes Lane bridge circular

Discussion of sightings in and around the Chorley area.

Moderator: Neil Southworth

John Frankland
Peregrine

E Shaped Ponds to Eyes Lane bridge circular

Post by John Frankland »

Just like Gary, a late start for me too at 8pm but a super walk on a calm evening from E Shaped Ponds along the rivers Yarrow, Lostock and Douglas to Eyes Lane bridge returning at 950pm via Eyes Lane and Back Lane.

Barn Owl 1 seen twice including a fabulous tussle with a Kestrel as they locked talons (or probably shrew) before spiralling down into the field !
Reed Warbler 1 heard at the Ponds
Sedge Warbler 4
Reed Bunting 3
Skylark 3
Yellowhammer 3
Buzzard 1
Goosander 1 pair in eclipse with 2 well grown young on Douglas
Whitethroat 2 heard singing
Swallow 15
Swift 10
Little Owl 1 (quick 10 minutes call to the depot near Great Hanging Bridge at 10pm - adult very showy on all the posts and possibly a young type call too but didn't see anything)

Also unidentified larger bat near Stoat Hall fishery. If the Pipistrelle is about Goldfinch size, then relatively, this bat was approaching Starling size with a slightly slower flight (not much to go on, I know, but I don't know bats apart from pipistrelle !) Any ideas ?
Neil Southworth
Avocet

Re: E Shaped Ponds to Eyes Lane bridge circular

Post by Neil Southworth »

It was possibly a Noctule Bat, John. It's the largest bat we get round here with a 14" wingspan, although it's more usually associated with woodland. It also usually flies earlier in the evening than other species.
John Frankland
Peregrine

Re: E Shaped Ponds to Eyes Lane bridge circular

Post by John Frankland »

Thanks Neil.

Could have been as it was hunting over the edge of woodland next to Stoat Hall, higher up than I normally see pipistrelles around the garden.

Also it was relatively early at about 930pm, just about sunset - pipistrelles appear from the roof of the house behind me usually 15-20 mins after sunset.

Cheers.

Return to “Recent Sightings”