Around Croston today

Discussion of sightings in and around the Chorley area.

Moderator: Neil Southworth

Paul Whittaker
Golden Eagle

Around Croston today

Post by Paul Whittaker »

2 Little Egret still around the sewage works area mid afternoon and also seen in flight over the village centre. A Barn Owl was hunting the fields between the sewage works and railway. Twin Lakes was mostly iced over although many BH Gulls were on the ice with a couple of GC Grebes, 20 Mallard, 2 Coot, and a Dabchick on the water. Other birds seen include Meadow Pipit, Linnet, Stock Dove, Fieldfare, Redwing, Bullfinch, Greenfinch etc. A large flock of waders in the air over Bretherton Eyes looked like Golden Plover but at a long distance, seen very briefly and into the low sun, I can't be certain. Similarly a small bird by the sewage works seen in silhouette against the sun (with watery eyes!) was probably a Chiffchaff but I won't count that on my list either! All told though a good start to my local patch year list which is up to 41.

Over the last couple of weeks I must have looked at every tree and berry bearing shrub in the village but alas no Waxwings so far!
Neil Southworth
Avocet

Re: Around Croston today

Post by Neil Southworth »

Paul, I too visited twin lakes and the sewage works late afternoon. Unfortunately, there was no sign of either Little Egret or Barn Owl, despite looking for both. I was possibly an hour or so too late. I did see good numbers of Lapwing flying over to Bretherton Eyes, and also a few Fieldfare. Four Cormorant flew over, as did Kestrel and Sparrowhawk. A couple of Yellowhammer passed through and a Goldcrest was at the sewage works.
Where are these Little Egrets being seen?
Cormorant, Sparrowhawk and Yellowhammer take me to 61.
I'll put your score on the board, Paul.
Paul Whittaker
Golden Eagle

Re: Around Croston today

Post by Paul Whittaker »

Hi Neil, interesting how things can be different just an hour apart. I was there between 2.30 and 3.30 I guess.
Today I saw the egrets initially in a ditch at the west end of the Twin Lakes but they flew out towards Croston Finney. Later they were flying some distance away over towards the E-shaped Pond. Later still as I walked through the village centre back home they were in flight heading west from the Highfield Road area. So they seem quite mobile yet few people I know around the village have seen them! The Barn Owl headed across Meadow Lane under the railway bridge and was last seen following the railway SW towards the Moss.

Return to “Recent Sightings”