Late Postings incl. Whooper Swan

Discussion of sightings in and around the Chorley area.

Moderator: Neil Southworth

Paul Whittaker
Golden Eagle

Late Postings incl. Whooper Swan

Post by Paul Whittaker »

Apologies for not keeping up to date but here are a few recent sightings from around Croston.

12th October. 11 Pied Wagtails took up residence on the roofs around Home Farm Mews on Grape Lane. At least 5 were 'alba' race. Some were still around on 25th.

On 14th October a Grey Heron appeared on the river at Mill Brow, Grape Lane. I have not seen one here before. It is still around and is usually in the field below the Corn Mill bridge between the river and Grape Lane.

2 Ravens took up a short and noisy residency in the Croston Hall Estate/North Park on 22nd and 23rd October.

Best recent sighting for me was on 24th October around midday. I was heading to Southport on the bicycle and saw a large flock of Whooper Swans in flight between the Douglas at Red Bridge and the canal at Sollom. They were low and heading NW from the direction of Great Hanging Bridge so well within CNHS recording area. About 10 minutes later I caught up with them along Green Lane near Mere Brow where they had landed on a stubble field. I got very close to them (no binoculars I'm afraid) and was able to make an estimated count of between 250 and 300.

There has clearly been a large release of Pheasant on the estate on Grape Lane with over 100 visible on North Park some recent days including one which is white. I woke to 12 in the garden one morning this week! I might be making daily visits to the Corn Mill to buy seed this winter!

Small flocks of Pinkfeet are regular sightings overhead or often heard even in the hours of darkness.

Return to “Recent Sightings”