Croston/mawdesley moss .

Discussion of sightings in and around the Chorley area.

Moderator: Neil Southworth

gary lilley
Avocet

Croston/mawdesley moss .

Post by gary lilley »

Redshank numbers have increased again to a new record count of 10 birds also 16 oystercatcher , 4 snipe , 50 lapwing , 5 golden plover , 3 goosander , 2 male mandarin duck flying with 2 mallard , 5 canada geese , single barn owl hunting from fence post along the river ( 10.00am) , 10 corn bunting , small numbers of linnet , chaffinch , reed bunting , yellowhammer and chaffinch , several skylark singing , 2 buzzard , 1 kestrel , 1 sparrowhawk , 15 stock dove .
Mandarin brings my chorley list up to 93 species .
Chris Rae
Peregrine

Re: Croston/mawdesley moss .

Post by Chris Rae »

93 :)
Neil Southworth
Avocet

Post by Neil Southworth »

I was late out this morning so just walked along the Douglas embankment from Rufford station. My counts were 25 Oystercatcher, 65 Lapwing, 8 Golden Plover and 11 Redshank, plus 2 Shelduck. The only birds on the river were a couple of Canada Geese and 4 Mallard. There was also a flock of around 100 Starling in amongst the Lapwing. The Golden Plover were tucked in the vegetation by the water's edge and were difficult to see, so there may have been more. Oystercatchers were coming and going all the time as were the Redshank.
Neville Root
Raven

Post by Neville Root »

I was out that way as well on Sunday Neil looking for waders, but didn't post as nothing to add beyond what you and Gary had seen - except a single curlew flew over nr the pumping station - you mentioned previously to post all curlew sightings.

Return to “Recent Sightings”