Euxton Rabbits

Discussion of sightings in and around the Chorley area.

Moderator: Neil Southworth

Mervyn Thornhill
Sparrowhawk

Euxton Rabbits

Post by Mervyn Thornhill »

The field at the back of my house is about 4acres in area and is surrounded by the main line railway, The River Yarrow, the A49 and the housing estate that I live on. There are plenty of trees and scrub growth round the edges. There have always been rabbits in the field in varying numbers. Last year was exceptional, with over a hundred rabbits at about this time of year. This year there are virtually none, just a few adult rabbits.

We did see the buzzards a couple of times last winter with dead rabbits but that's all. There are foxes around but not as many as we have had in some previous years. We have seen no sign of dead (except for those that the buzzards caught) or diseased rabbits.

Also. on the far side of the River Yarrow, in Charnock Richard, rabbits are usually plentiful but there is no sign of them at present. Anyone know what might have happened to them? Has there been any major reduction in numbers elsewhere in Chorley?
Mervyn Thornhill
Sparrowhawk

Re: Euxton Rabbits

Post by Mervyn Thornhill »

I was surprised that no one responded to my previous post to say that their local rabbits were thriving or, like mine, had disappeared. Anyway, mine haven't come back (except for one or two pairs), and apparently they are disappearing from all over the country and the reason is unknown. An article in today's Sunday Times (P23) explains.

My greenfinches, which have been with me all summer and into this winter, despite the hard times they appear to be having, have now also disappeared in the last couple of weeks.

The squirrels are doing ok, there were five in the garden the other day.
lindsay
Golden Eagle

Post by lindsay »

Now that you mention it, I havnt seen any rabbits down Withnell Nature trail for a while (the dogs usually see them) on the other hand I have not until the last 2 weeks seen Greenfinch in my garden for a while. In the last couple of weeks I have had 3 sightings of single birds with goldfinches.
Chris Rae
Peregrine

Post by Chris Rae »

Mervyn,

Our rabbits have gone down from a dozen or so to 2 or 3 over the passed year or two. At least two were diseased.

Chris.

Return to “Recent Sightings”