Out and About - Tuesday morning

Discussion of sightings in and around the Chorley area.

Moderator: Neil Southworth

ianball
Peregrine

Out and About - Tuesday morning

Post by ianball »

First time down to the mosses this year so lots of year ticks to be had.

Croston Moss.
Most of the action near to the feeding station. Little Egret hiding well in a ditch to the south. Usual suspects on the feeders, with good numbers of Reed Buntings in the trees - at least 20+. Flock of 50+ Skylark in field south of feeders with one Meadow Pipit. Yellowhammer, Tree Sparrow and Corn Bunting scattered here and there. One Golden Plover flew over whilst watching the feeders. 100+ Fieldfare in field north of feeders with single Stonechat. Two Great Spotted Woodpecker kept flying around noisily, along with regular sightings of Buzzard and Kestrel. Large mixed flock of corvids west of the feeding station.

Sewage works/Twin lakes.
Two Chiffchaff eventually found round the back of the sewage works in the hedgerow viewed from the gate. Just too far away and slightly into the sun to see if one was the tristis bird. Goldcrest and Bullfinch briefly here too. Green Sandpiper and Gadwall stand out birds at a very frozen Twin lakes.

Yarrow Valley.
Saw Len's "smaller" Canada Goose. Could well be a Lesser Canada Goose but my thoughts would be an escape anyway the way it was going for bread compared to the other Canada's. 3 Great Crested and 1 Little Grebe and the Shoveler amongst the Tufted Ducks and Mallards in the small amount of unfrozen water on the main lodge. A small crowd of photographers taking pictures of trees at the kingfisher channel - or so it always appeared everytime I walked past :-) Suffice to say not many smaller birds about by lunchtime.

After today's tickfest I am now up to 74 for the year.

Return to “Recent Sightings”