Otter sighting at Yarrow Valley Park

Discussion of sightings in and around the Chorley area.

Moderator: Neil Southworth

Leonard Poxon
Little Egret

Otter sighting at Yarrow Valley Park

Post by Leonard Poxon »

Spotted by Michelle McMahon and photographed by Kath Hancock earlier today. It was first seen on the far bank of Big Lodge, then swam over to the inlet and was photographed in the 'Kingfisher Channel'.

Paul West
Goldeneye

Re: Otter sighting at Yarrow Valley Park

Post by Paul West »

The camera does not lie. :D
Rose
Woodpecker

Post by Rose »

:D :D
Neil Southworth
Avocet

Post by Neil Southworth »

Len,

Why is this thought to be an otter rather than a mink? Mink are seen regularly at YVP and in the Kingfisher channel. An otter is a fairly big mammal - over 4 feet long including its tail. It's difficult to judge size from a single photo, but this animal looks quite small - a mink is less than half the size of an otter.
Leonard Poxon
Little Egret

Post by Leonard Poxon »

Neil,

The photo was first posted on the "Chorley Then and Now" facebook page. There was initially a lot of debate about whether it was an otter or mink. But several knowledgeable people including a water authority employee were convinced from the facial appearance (shape of whiskers, nose, ears etc.) and the description of the way it swam that it was an otter. I have seen a number of mink myself over the years from as close a 4ft and the picture to me does look more otter than mink (although I have never seen a live otter), but appearances can be deceptive.

I felt it was useful for Chorley Nats members to be aware of the opportunity of seeing a possible otter on our doorstep.
Paul West
Goldeneye

Post by Paul West »

I have to be honest and say I have been very sceptical about the reports of otter in the area, not wishing to believe it without some real photographic evidence, always believing that sightings were of mink. But being a lifelong fisherman I have been fortunate enough to have seen a number of both mink and otters in the wild over the years. As soon as I saw the photo It screemed otter to me. A mink has a much more pointed face, very weasel like. The otters is wider with the eyes wider apart.As for size a female is smaller about 60 cm head and body & about the same for the tail. If you google images of mink and otter you will see that there is no comparison between the two. I showed the picture to my wife and she immediately said otter, and she is never wrong. :lol:
gary lilley
Avocet

Post by gary lilley »

I thought otter straight away as well paul .
Chris Rae
Peregrine

Post by Chris Rae »

:D WOW :D
annewitty
Blue Tit

Post by annewitty »

it is definitely an Otter, I was there when the Lady spotted it and when the photograph was taken, it swam underwater and then kept popping its head out looking at us... Brilliant sight and well done to Michelle for spotting it and Kath for taking the picture, I wasn't quick enough :D :D :D
Neil Southworth
Avocet

Post by Neil Southworth »

Welcome to the Forum, Anne.
Brian Derbyshire
Goldeneye

Post by Brian Derbyshire »

I've seen numerous Mink & Otters over the years (including one in the recording area some years ago - it was reported but location was and still is restricted) and this is in my opinion certainly an Otter - great record - although what the Bream and Pike in Birkacre may think is a different matter!!!
Brian
tony
Raven

Post by tony »

Definitely an otter, face and head completely different to a mink, even without seeing the size of its body.
David Beattie
Peregrine

Post by David Beattie »

I agree otter. Mink do have a much more pointed face and they are much darker than this individual. A great start for mammal sightings this year

KEEP THEM COMING IN ( Otters and mammal sightings of course)
Chris
Buzzard

Post by Chris »

Any photos of the kingfisher and otter together?
David Beattie
Peregrine

Post by David Beattie »

I hope not. Otters are known to kill and eat kingfishers

Return to “Recent Sightings”