Help

Carol
Goldeneye

Help

Post by Carol »

Watching from my dining room window in the winter it's easy to see tree-creeper, siskin, gold finch, nuthatch etc. But it's a different matter when out walking. I keep reading what you folks see when you walk White Coppice to Waterman's cottage - but when I go I don't see anywhere near that much! So what's the secret? Do you sit down and watch? I keep my ears open but am rubbish at locating where sounds come from, I scan streams for dippers, trunks for creepers, larger branches too for nuthatches and peckers - but see nothing. All I hear are alarm calls saying she's here again let's hide! Help! I'm used wader watching which is much less complicated - there's very few leafy tress to hide in for a start....
Carol
Neil Southworth
Avocet

Help

Post by Neil Southworth »

Carol,

You really do need to learn the songs and calls of birds. You will probably then double the number of species you see on any walk. Dare I suggest that you join Chorley Nats - it's only £7.00 per year for a single adult - then you might get the chance to do some birding with some of the members, which might help you to see more. Our next meeting is on Thursday evening at St Mary's (Chorley) parish centre at 7.30 p.m.

As far as White Coppice to Anglezarke is concerned it's well worth scanning the bracken, as several species use it for cover and feeding. It is not however a good area in winter. You will see a lot more at places such as Birkacre at that time of year as long as you get there early, before every man and his dog arrives!

Neil
David Beattie
Peregrine

Help

Post by David Beattie »

I agree with Neil, the only way is to get out there and keep listening. The good news is that winter is on the way and those irritating leaves will soon be gone.Could I also recommend two events that will be held on Cuerden Valley Park. On the last weekend in January Friends of Cuerden valley Park are holding a "Birding for beginners" in conjunction with the RSPB Big Garden Birdwatch. I will be hosting this event so feel free to ask as many questions as you want if you come along. In May I will also be hosting a Dawn Chorus ( starting at 5.00am followed by breakfast) which will be another opportunity for all of us to gain experience. Don't forget, when you first start birding they give you an L plate. The longer you do birding the bigger the L plate gets
Carol
Goldeneye

Thanks

Post by Carol »

Thanks Guys. Knowing where and when to look is crucial to sucess, I think - and that's where your website comes in. Including times of day as welll as dates of sightings could be really useful....
Learning techniques for spotting is vital to me since I have moderate to severe hearing loss. (So non aural advise i.e. where to look, such as in the bracken, is always welcome.) My digi hearing aids do help - as long as it's not a windy day! But I'm still working out how to locate where sounds originate...
Group walks - frustrating unless the group is really small and the speaker doesn't turn away to look at the bird whilst speaking (impossible not to, I know...)
I intend to join NATS (so beware!) It clashes with something else so attendance will be sporadic.
I'm on my way to Birkacre now...
Carol

Return to “2006 Recent Sightings Submissions”