Poplar Hawk Moth

PETER
Little Egret

Poplar Hawk Moth

Post by PETER »

Poplar Hawk Moth In My Garden This Morning,Photo In Gallery,Also 3 Other Moths Cannot Identify
phil kirk
Site Admin

Moth id

Post by phil kirk »

The first brown moth on your gallery (Can anyone id this moth?) is a Large Yellow Underwing. I got this from Steve Palmer of the Lancashire Moth group. They are easy to identify in the wild because of the striking yellow colour of the back wings. Not as easy from a photo. Next time put a jam jar over it and give it a nudge. It will oblige by opening its wings I am sure!

I have only just noticed the three more recent photos. I will have a think about them!
phil kirk
Site Admin

3 unidentified moths

Post by phil kirk »

I will stick my neck out here and suggest that the first is probably a Smoky Wainscot, the second a Large Yellow Underwing (they are very variable) and the last possibly a Lesser Broad Bordered Yellow Underwing.

Obviously these last two should have yellow underwings if I am correct. It is really difficult to be sure from a picture because you don't get a sense of the size of the moth - also I have enough trouble with the live insects!
PETER
Little Egret

Smoky Wainscot

Post by PETER »

Hi Phil, Have Been Researching This Moth, I've Come Up With Bulrush Wainscot, What Do You Think. Regards Peter
phil kirk
Site Admin

Wainsot

Post by phil kirk »

I've never seen a Bulrush Wainscot. It still looks like a Smoky Wainscot to me! It is difficult because you can't tell how big it is from a photo and can't see the back wings. I really am not sure. Shall I ask Steve Palmer to have a look at the photos?
PETER
Little Egret

Smoky Wainscot

Post by PETER »

Hi Phil, By All Means Let Steve Take A Look, If You Go To www.norfolkmoths.co.uk Go To Select Species,Bulrush Wainscot, And Then Smoky Wainscot. I Think You Will Be Surprised.Regards Peter.
phil kirk
Site Admin

Waincot

Post by phil kirk »

Yes I agree the dots on the wing margin look like the Bulrush Wainscot. I will get Steve to look at the images.

Return to “2007 Butterfly First Date Submissions”