buzzards and viewing woodcock

gary lilley
Avocet

Post by gary lilley »

2 buzzards flew over my house (eccleston)

VIEWING WOODCOCK, The best time i find to spot woodcock is at dusk
near a wooded area i simply stand in the same area until it goes dark
looking for any movement around tree height and above(i,ve seen 5 in
one night useing this method) you can also go out in the daytime which
is better with a dog and check woods (under holley, bramble and any thick cover) hedgerows ditches and conifer plantations, the bird i saw
the other day was simply flying across open fields so it must have been
flushed by someone or something some distance away , i hope this gives
you a chance to spot a woodcock in the near future carol

regards gary.
Carol
Goldeneye

Post by Carol »

This is really helpful, Gary. Thanks.
Can you share any sites where woodcock can be regularly seen round here? Please? (To maximise my chances of seeing some.)
Thanks
Carol
David Beattie
Peregrine

Post by David Beattie »

:( I don't like the idea of taking a dog whilst trying to see woodcock. This to me would disturb the birds too much from the area in which they are feeding or roosting. I suspect we have lost woodcock from Cuerden due to lots of people taking dogs for excercise there. The best way to see them is to wait until spring and go to the car park at Roddlesworth to view them roding. Join one of the Bird Race teams to see this at its best
Carol
Goldeneye

Post by Carol »

What's a Bird Race team?
Carol
David Beattie
Peregrine

woodcock

Post by David Beattie »

To answer your question re "bird race team" Each year in mid to late April a few of us form teams of about three or four people. Our objective is to try to see or identify as many diffrent birds in 24hrs as possible. This takes place in the Chorley recording area, usually starting counting from midday on a Saturday to midday on a Sunday, it is great fun. You could form your own team or find someone who has a space on their team. Some of us take this very seriously so committment to your team may be important. No having a lie in until 0600 on the Sunday morning. Neil will surely be making an announcement shortly about the date of the 2007 Bird Race

Return to “2007 Recent Sightings Submissions”