Fungi found Yarrow Valley

duxbury rambler
Raven

Fungi found Yarrow Valley

Post by duxbury rambler »

Found these two on the same toppled tree base, near Primrose Hill, along side the stream that leads into the Top Lodge. grid Ref SD574147.

There were a few of these all over the base they measured approx 1.5 cm across widest part.
http://gallery.chorleynats.org.uk/main. ... alNumber=2

These were the only ones I found and they were approx 4 - 5cm across widest part.
http://gallery.chorleynats.org.uk/main. ... alNumber=2

Carol.
Hewitt03
Goldeneye

fungi

Post by Hewitt03 »

I think that the orange ball shaped fungi is Charcoal Pholiota (Pholiota Highlandensis) or a Hypholoma Capniodes.

Hypholoma Capniodes grows on conifer stumps.
Was the stump it was growing on from a conifer?
Hewitt03
Goldeneye

brown fungi

Post by Hewitt03 »

I think the brown mushrooms you found are Winter Funnel Caps (Clitocybe Brumatis)
duxbury rambler
Raven

Fungi tree

The tree was blown over a few years ago, trees in this part are mainly Sycamore, oak and ash. I will have a good look next time I pass it.

Carol.
duxbury rambler
Raven

Tree name

I went to the tree which was toppled in recent years by strong winds, it was an oak, the brown mushrooms were almost gone and the other of which there were many looked like miniature fried eggs but they were more mushroom shaped today, I took photos, hope this helps with the ID's.

Carol. :)
Hewitt03
Goldeneye

brown mushrooms

Post by Hewitt03 »

Flicking through my fungi field guide, I finally found your brown mushrooms and I can 100% certainly say that they are Psyathyrella Spadicea.
Joyce Riley
Goldeneye

Fungi

Post by Joyce Riley »

I have been away on holiday and have only just looked at the fungi photos on the gallery. It is almost impossible to identify with certainty fungi species from photographs unless they are very distinctive. However, I am pretty sure that the first photo isn't Pholiota highlandensis as this grows on burnt ground and doen't normally look like those in the picture. They could just be the early stages of sulphur tuft/Hypholoma fasciculare. Did you see the colour of the gills or do a spore print?
Jack may be correct in his identification of the brown species - the silky stipe certainly has the appearance of a Psathyrella and from the habitat etc it could be P. spadicea/Chestnut Brittlestem but I wouldn't be 100% sure!

Return to “2007 Recent Sightings Submissions”