Hic Bibi Nature Reserve, Sat 7th March

Information about proposed field trips

Neil Southworth
Avocet

Hic Bibi Nature Reserve, Sat 7th March

Post by Neil Southworth »

Our next field trip is on Saturday 7th March 2020, and is to Hic Bibi nature reserve. Wellies are recommended for this walk.

Meet in Coppull Moor Lane at the sign-posted entrance to the access track to the reserve at 9.30 a.m.
Paul West
Goldeneye

Re: Hic Bibi Nature Reserve, Sat 7th March

Post by Paul West »

Good weather forcast for Saturday, and with it being dry this week It should be more enjoyable under foot. But wellies still required.
Jed Kirkham
Golden Eagle

Post by Jed Kirkham »

11 members met up on a relatively mild and dry morning to wander in Hic bibi Nature reserve and around nearby fields, returning by Hic bibi Lane.

On arrival the first thing I heard on opening the car door were Greenfinch which was a good sign. Several were seen/heard near the entrance, and occasionally in the reserve (est 3 pairs). Other birds noted:

Near the entrance/from the road: House Sparrows, Collared Dove, Redwing - many seen in fields to the north of Hic bibi, and also several in the reserve - Blue Tit, Great Tit, Carrion Crow, Dunnock, Canada Geese over, Woodpigeon, Goldfinch, Song Thrush, Coal Tit. 2 Pied Wagtail in puddles near the nursery, Chaffinch, Blackbird.
There were approx. 8 Bullfinch in the reserve, regularly seen. 5 Yellowhammer (4 M 1F, 2 of the males singing). Several Stock Dover over, Long-tailed Tits, Rooks with Jackdaws and Crows in fields not to far from some manure heaps which were scanned. Skylark heard singing several times. Lapwing, Mallard, BH Gull and LB Gull over, Magpie, Robin, 2 Grey Heron over, at least 4 Buzzards seen together circling over, Feral Pigeon, Wren, Kestrel, GS Woodpecker heard, Moorhen.
3 of the group searched in vain for Tree Sparrows from the lane near the entrance following the walk, and efforts were made to look for frog spawn and GC Newts in the rather opaque ponds - I didn't see any.

Motorbike tyre tracks across the reserve not a good sign, possibly due to the metal gate being open (latch/locks removed) from fields where plant has gained access to cut back bramble/widen the paths in places. Several owl boxes noted, possibly some new ones recently installed?

Several new sp. my Chorley list now at 68.

If any attendees can add/amend to this list, esp. for flora/fungi/mammals etc please do. Many thanks.
Leonard Poxon
Little Egret

Post by Leonard Poxon »

Fungi seen included - Scarlet Elfscup, Blushing Bracket and Blackleg Polypore.

Also spotted were some Pixie Cup Lichen.

Several active Molehills were also seen.
lydia rose
Raven

Post by lydia rose »

In flower- coltsfoot,daisy,dandelion,hairy bittercress,lesser celandine,snow drops,blackthorn
Jed Kirkham
Golden Eagle

Post by Jed Kirkham »

Thanks Len and Lydia.
Slight error in my list: I try to use the BTO 2-letter codes when noting birds and had 2 ST's on my list. The first was for Song Thrush but must have put ST down also for a small flock of Starlings which I recall flew over the reserve. Starlings should be SG. So we can add Starling to the Field Trip list. Mistakes happen. Sorry.

If anyone else is tempted, the BTO shorthand 2-letter codes can be downloaded and saved as an App. I use them so that my memory has a work-out, anything to stave off dementia...

Return to “Field Trips”