Evening Walk to Lower Burgh Meadows - Thursday 21st June 2018

Information about proposed field trips

Jed Kirkham
Golden Eagle

Evening Walk to Lower Burgh Meadows - Thursday 21st June 2018

Post by Jed Kirkham »

The weather was fine, evening sunshine with some high cloud, a cooling NW breeze which possibly stopped some insects rising, and birds such as reed buntings were mostly hunkered down in the vegetation - or not in the Meadows...

Swifts were the objective and after a slow start we saw about 30, mostly silent and we remarked that we didn't hear too much "screaming". Most were hawking over the Lodge, although we had good views of them near the edges of the Meadows. Only 1 house martin, no swallows.

Other birds: Chaffinch, LBB Gulls, Chiffchaff, Reed Bunting, Kestrel (probably 2), Willow Warbler, BH Gull, Wood Pigeon, Magpie, Blackbird, Carrion Crow, Song Thrush, 3 Green-necked Parakeets, Goldfinch, Wren, Dunnock, Jay, Stock Dove and Robin (21 sp.)

If I've missed anything I apologise, and grateful to any botanists & insect watchers to add to the above.
Jed Kirkham
Golden Eagle

Re: Evening Walk to Lower Burgh Meadows - Thursday 21st June 2018

Post by Jed Kirkham »

Sorry folks, it should of course have been 3 Ring-necked Parakeets. I've not seen them before in Chorley. The debate about these birds will no doubt become louder locally as these birds increase in number.

Return to “Field Trips”