7 of us met at 0930hrs and enjoyed about 90 mins walking around the site comprising 2 former reservoirs, reedbed and other damp vegetated areas which is being restored and managed - a team of volunteers was working at the site. The warden, Ken Maylor, showed us round, explained the work being done, future plans, wildlife present currently and seen there at different times of the year. An impressive list of wildlife in a relatively small area, including more than 150 bird sp. recorded there. More info can be found on the Grimsargh Wetlands Facebook page.
Moderate W wind made it feel cooler than on the thermometer, it was quite exposed on the embankments. Largely dry with an occasional light shower.
Birds seen below: any additions welcome, I didn't count numbers of all sp, too much to see!
Shoveler (ca 15), Gadwall, Goosander (3), Cormorant, Canada Geese (4), Mute Swans, Tufted Duck (2), Mallard (approx. 50 inc. in fields nearby), Grey Heron, BH Gull (ca. 120), Fieldfare (ca 10), Sparrowhawk seen several times, including raising a flock of ca 400 Starling across fields NE of the site, Shelduck (2), Feral Goose, Blackbird, Chaffinch, Goldfinch, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Carrion Crow, Pheasant, Jackdaw, Redwing (7), Coot, (ca 5), Goldeneye (3F/2M), Pochard (1 M), Jay, Common Gull, LBB Gull (2), Wren, Moorhen, Mistle Thrush, Reed Bunting, LT Tit, Dunnock, Magpie and Robin.
Mammals: the 4 resident Roe Deer seen, plus a dead vole, possibly a short-tailed field vole.
Continued the trip by spending about 30mins looking out across the nearby Alston Wetlands. We looked out from 2 of the 3 available screens. Mallard present in large numbers, ca 15 Teal, 1 Wigeon, 3 Goldeneye, Carrion Crow, Kestrel, 2 Meadow Pipit, Woodpigeon, Coot, Herring Gull, 2 Jays, Mistle Thrush over nearby, and 3 Curlew in a field near the junction with the Longridge Road.
For those attendees, please add anything I may have missed - thanks.
- Grimsargh Wetlands Dec2019Resized10.JPG (50.54 KiB) Viewed 671 times
- Grimsargh Wetlands Dec2019Resized9.JPG (54.93 KiB) Viewed 671 times
- Grimsargh Wetlands Dec2019Resized8.JPG (62.77 KiB) Viewed 671 times
- Grimsargh Wetlands Dec2019Resized7.JPG (89.49 KiB) Viewed 671 times
- Grimsargh Wetlands Dec2019Resized6.JPG (117.32 KiB) Viewed 671 times
- Grimsargh Wetlands Dec2019Resized5.JPG (49.93 KiB) Viewed 671 times
- Grimsargh Wetlands Dec2019Resized4.JPG (56.23 KiB) Viewed 671 times
- Grimsargh Wetlands Dec2019Resized3.JPG (52.34 KiB) Viewed 671 times
- Grimsargh Wetlands Dec2019Resized2.JPG (35.75 KiB) Viewed 671 times
- Grimsargh Wetlands Dec2019Resized1.JPG (33.51 KiB) Viewed 671 times