Menorca birding blog

Post any news of rare sightings from outside the area or any holiday information you may wish to pass on.
ianball
Peregrine

Menorca birding blog

Post by ianball »

Hi
After a fantastic week on Menorca I am putting together a blog report on the birds and places visited.

https://nobbyball.blogspot.com/

I will keep adding to it over the next few days.

Ian
Neville Root
Raven

Re: Menorca birding blog

Post by Neville Root »

Like the blog Ian. We had a family holiday in Cala Galdana a couple of years and the most seen bird from our apartment were pied flycatcher. Cala Llonga in Ibiza a year later was a great place for fish diving Audoin's gulls.
ianball
Peregrine

Post by ianball »

Thanks Neville. The first four days are done now... We visited Cala Galdana on the Friday on a boat trip along the south coast. It was great watching the mixture of Swifts in the beautiful resort, the Alpine Swifts stealing the show. At one point an Egyptian Vulture drifted low over the town which was amazing.
Cheers
Ian
Leonard Poxon
Little Egret

Post by Leonard Poxon »

Great trip report Ian. I saw my first Hoopoe on Menorca
ianball
Peregrine

Post by ianball »

Thanks Len.

I’ve added Wednesday now onto the blog, which was when we first saw Hoopoe on this trip. Having seen none till then, after we saw the first one we regularly saw them in flight around the resort.

Ian
Leonard Poxon
Little Egret

Post by Leonard Poxon »

Great blog Ian, sounds like you had a great time as well and got a good list of bird species.

The main thing I remember about Cuitadella was the Sobrasada baguettes and the custard filled Ensaimadas!
ianball
Peregrine

Post by ianball »

Thanks again - I enjoyed writing it as it brought back good memories. Definitely recommend Cuitadella to anyone who visits Menorca. I’d also recommend Menorca as a lovely quiet island with the potential for great birding. Away from the main sites there is very little information so there is fantastic potential for discovering your own things - the best sort of birding.
nora west
Little Egret

Post by nora west »

Tommy and I went a few years ago, but we stayed at Cala Santa Galdana.we were near to Algendar Gorge were the Egyptian Vulture was nesting .we were rewarded with good views .another bird we enjoyed seeing was the Turtle Dove.ther are many lovely walks from here as we dont drive when abroad.
ianball
Peregrine

Post by ianball »

Really liked Cala Galdana the afternoon we were there. If/when we go back to Menorca walks up the gorge will be definitely on the list. It was nice to see and hear many Turtle Doves last week, making it even sadder how they’ve declined in the UK.

Return to “Out of Area Sightings”