Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers at Moore, Warrington

Post any news of rare sightings from outside the area or any holiday information you may wish to pass on.
Jed Kirkham
Golden Eagle

Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers at Moore, Warrington

Post by Jed Kirkham »

Had a trip to Moore on Saturday 24th Feb, birding from 0715 to 1000hrs, hoping to see/hear LSW before leaves sprout, breeding finishes and activity probably decreases. Fine weather. Excellent and close views of a (loudly!) drumming LSW in the "triangular" wooded area approx. 200m from car park for 10-15 mins, after it flew off a female came in to inspect his handiwork. Also Green and Great Spotted too.
36 species in total. Its a good site, plenty of variety. Best get there early before too many dogwalkers/kids, although car park is now closed before 0730hrs, we were let in by one of the FCC landfill workers.

Met a birder from Skelmersdale, he told me LSWs were formerly at White Coppice.
Neil Southworth
Avocet

Re: Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers at Moore, Warrington

Post by Neil Southworth »

The Chorley area used to be the Lancashire stronghold for LSW's, Jed and we did have a record from Limbrick last year. I don't think we look for them hard enough, although you would think that there would be more casual sightings if they were still around.
Jed Kirkham
Golden Eagle

Post by Jed Kirkham »

I'll take note of your comments when out and about in suitable habitat around Chorley, and appreciate your reply. I'm fairly sure I've got the drumming differences sorted - LSW generally faster, possibly higher pitched, with an abrupt ending - because they won't be easy to see when the leaves are out. Thanks again.
gary lilley
Avocet

Post by gary lilley »

The wooded areas around heskin hall were the last time i saw lesser spotted woodpecker Jed .

Return to “Out of Area Sightings”