Channel Wagtail

Post any news of rare sightings from outside the area or any holiday information you may wish to pass on.
peter rowlands
Peregrine

Channel Wagtail

Post by peter rowlands »

Channel Wagtail seen yesterday on Curlew Lane.
Attachments
Channel Wagtail.JPG
Channel Wagtail.JPG (118.84 KiB) Viewed 2830 times
peter rowlands
ianball
Peregrine

Re: Channel Wagtail

Post by ianball »

Hi
I've seen pictures of the Channel Wagtail elsewhere but I'm not seeing the blue tones on the head on this... looks like a female Yellow Wagtail to me? Might just be how the photo has reproduced on the small screen???
peter rowlands
Peregrine

Post by peter rowlands »

I did think Female Yellow Wagtail, but I wasn't sure with reports of the Channel Wagtail in that area. So I put it on the world wide Birdforum for id. They came back with (Hybrid, integrated between Flave and Flavissima) Channel Wagtail.
peter rowlands
ianball
Peregrine

Post by ianball »

Hi again
Just found that thread. To be honest I'm surprised one of the guys could be so confident on calling it Channel. Like I said I've seen pictures elsewhere of the Channel Wagtail on Curlew Lane and it is a male bird with the pale blue head. This is a female bird. One of the other guys on the birdforum thread said it's a female Yellow Wagtail...but couldn't put it to subspecies The male bird will still be out there somewhere :-)
ianball
Peregrine

Post by ianball »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=you ... GsyXgQXDsg

Good video of Blue Headed Wagtail female type at nearby Hundred End. Notice how much more prominent the eyestripe is and whiter the bird is around the face.

Return to “Out of Area Sightings”