Bearded Tits

Post any news of rare sightings from outside the area or any holiday information you may wish to pass on.
Leonard Poxon
Little Egret

Bearded Tits

Post by Leonard Poxon »

Having seen reports of Bearded Tits being seen at Fleetwood Marsh Nature Reserve early last week and having failed to see any on a number of visits to Leighton Moss I decided to try my luck last Thursday morning. It was a freezing cold but sunny day and the lake that has a bridge across it was 90% iced over. I waited mid-way along the bridge and observed up to 10 Reed Buntings feeding on the Common Reed seeding heads. After waiting for just over an hour at 10:05 I saw my first ever Bearded Tit - a female, and shortly after a male. I saw 4 separate birds at any one time, but concluded that there were 5 in total as four (2m & 2f) had closed silver rings on their right legs, but one other female was ring less. They were also feeding in the sunlight at the lakeside edge of the reeds; at 10:45 they disappeared into the reeds. I have been speculating as to where they have come from (there were some reports from that site in late November, but none before this), my first thoughts were that they could have been from Leighton Moss, but I understand that the birds there have a number of multi-coloured rings fitted so that rules those out. It is possible that they may have come from the continent in an irruption, but without being able to read the rings we may never know.

Image Bearded Tit (m)

Image Bearded Tit (f)

Image Bearded Tit (m)

Other birds seen were a Redshank and a Snipe in flight, Tufted Duck, Mallard, Coot, Moorhen, a single female Teal and numerous Gulls. Following this I visited the Marine lakes in Fleetwood and observed up to 20 Turnstone, 3m and 1f Goldeneye, 2f Red Breasted Merganser, Mute Swans, Tufted Duck, Mallard, Redshank and a heron.

Image Goldeneye (m)
peter rowlands
Peregrine

Re: Bearded Tits

Post by peter rowlands »

Very well done Len. Superb pictures.
peter rowlands
Neil Southworth
Avocet

Post by Neil Southworth »

Yes, great images, Len. Now find one in Yarrow Valley Park!
gary lilley
Avocet

Post by gary lilley »

Or croston reedbed :) ,great pictures len ive only ever seen them at leighton moss and breydon water near great yarmouth .
PETER
Little Egret

Post by PETER »

Nice capture Len,not the easiest of birds to photo.
Leonard Poxon
Little Egret

Post by Leonard Poxon »

Thanks Peter, Neil, Gary and Peter. I felt privileged to see them.

Return to “Out of Area Sightings”