Cumbrian Travels: Bee-Eaters and an Eagle

Post any news of rare sightings from outside the area or any holiday information you may wish to pass on.
ianball
Peregrine

Cumbrian Travels: Bee-Eaters and an Eagle

Post by ianball »

Did a grand tour of Cumbria today. Started off with the brilliant Bee-Eaters at Brampton. Just the one pair now but they showed regularly and very well. Next we went to the Geltsdale reserve for a short walk and saw Hen Harrier, Buzzard, Kestrel, Grasshopper Warbler and Raven. Haweswater was the next destination and once a few showers had passed myself and my increasingly enthusiastic tick building eldest son had wonderful views of the lone male Golden Eagle. Peregrine, Raven, Wheatear, Redstart, Kestrel family and Red Deer added to a super walk. Penultimate stop was Foulshaw Moss. Two of the young Osprey were making regular flights around the nest with one of the adults watching over them. A family of Stonechat flew round the watchpoint. Finally Leighton Moss. 3 Great White Egret, Little Egret and squealing Water Rail made Public Hide entertaining. Spotted Redshank and Greenshank stood out at the Eric Morcambe hide. A long but eventful day and one very happy eldest son with many new memorable ticks.
Maggie Stuart
Goldeneye

Re: Cumbrian Travels: Bee-Eaters and an Eagle

Post by Maggie Stuart »

Wow! What a day :D
Rose
Woodpecker

Post by Rose »

Fantastic day out, I will have to go and see these bee eaters Soon :) I also went to Leighton Moss on the 1st August and seen the Great White Egret, and the little Egret, both on the Lower hide, also was enjoying watching the Otter having a good splash around too :D
Chris Rae
Peregrine

Post by Chris Rae »

:)

Return to “Out of Area Sightings”