Bee Eaters...

Post any news of rare sightings from outside the area or any holiday information you may wish to pass on.
flyingfox
Goldeneye

Bee Eaters...

Post by flyingfox »

Bee Eaters..

Saturday 8th Brampton, carlisle (Cumbria) ...

A beautiful, rare and colourful bird. There are two pairs raising chicks a must see...

RSPB...Have set up a shelter to watch from .... Awesome
Rose
Woodpecker

Re: Bee Eaters...

Post by Rose »

Wow, I have heard about these birds, I will have to go and see them myself soon, is it easy to get there :)
Neil Southworth
Avocet

Post by Neil Southworth »

Rose,

The Bee-eaters are at Hanson's Low Gelt quarry south west of Brampton on the A69, postcode CA8 1SY. I've not been myself so maybe David or Ian could provide further information.
Rose
Woodpecker

Post by Rose »

Thank you Neil for the information it's much appreciated, I am hoping to go this weekend weather permitted :D
ianball
Peregrine

Post by ianball »

The Bee-Eater site has a sign on the A69 and is then signed on the minor road past the quarry. The RSPB have done a great job with car parking and information. The £5 donation is a small price to pay for the many hours being spent by the volunteers who will let you look through their scopes and point you in the direction of the birds and where best to see them. It is about a 10/15 minute walk uphill (gradual) to a gazebo tent overlooking the nesthole where there were more scopes. The birds were regularly in view every 10 minutes or so, sometimes giving prolonged perching and flight views. Well worth the trip.
Rose
Woodpecker

Post by Rose »

Thank you very much Ian for all your information it's very much appreciated, it's so good what the RSPB do to protect these rare birds, right then better get on the Internet and sort my journey out then

Thanks again, Rose :)
Chris Rae
Peregrine

Post by Chris Rae »

:)
Rose
Woodpecker

Post by Rose »

Went to see these magnificent birds yesterday, they were showing well, only one nesting pair and one helper left now as one bird got took with a sparrow hawk so the other pair flew off, local bee keeper donated 3 hives to help with feeding, apparently it will help in the long run as the queen bee will stop there and will produce more next year, also there was loads of sand martins and a buzzard perched on one of the posts not bothered about the other birds, thank you for all the information on how to get there it really helped, well worth a visit I was buzzing :D

Rose :)
Neil Southworth
Avocet

Post by Neil Southworth »

Sparrowhawks have a lot to answer for! Glad you found them, Rose.
Rose
Woodpecker

Post by Rose »

ianball
Peregrine

Post by ianball »

:)

Return to “Out of Area Sightings”