Pilling Sands 13 Sept

Post any news of rare sightings from outside the area or any holiday information you may wish to pass on.
Carol
Goldeneye

Pilling Sands 13 Sept

Post by Carol »

I had a day off so I walked along Pilling Sands with the in-coming tide.

Shelducks and an assortment of gulls (gbb, lbb, bh, h) were already waiting on the mud, along with lapwings in the marsh and oystercatchers looking like a line of small boulders at the tidal edge. Small groups of curlew carrying their mournful beaks flew over, then more and more oystercatchers passed, first in small clumps and later in long streaming banners, getting longer and longer as the tide urged them in. Flocks of geese and a two flocks of dancing dunlins (c1000 birds each). Once performed right in front of me, expanding and contracting, dipping down then hesitating up - not quite ready to land. Hunched nuggets of golden plover were forced close up to the wall. Ringed plover too. Five wheatear were hide and seeking in and out the rocky sea wall and several bunches of finch-like birds were undulating the marsh. As the tide peaked two heron came in and also a dozen grey plover, each on its own own island-tussock. Some much larger flocks (dunlin / knot?) were seen over towards Lane's End along with loads of oystercatchers, geese etc.

There were also gatherings in the fields: collared doves huddling together on barn roofs, starlings on the telephone wires, crows on haystacks. And a single greater spotted pecker drumming his message on a telegraph pole. No predators seen, surprisingly.

Piling Sands or Cockerham Sands would make great venues for winter field trips when the tide is right. Short walk, flat, wheelchair access. We could play identify the wader.... What does anyone else think?
Carol
nora west
Little Egret

Pilling sands.

Post by nora west »

Seems like a good idea to me ,is anyone else interesred.
Joyce Riley
Goldeneye

Pilling & Cockerham Sands

Post by Joyce Riley »

It is a good number of years since the Society last had a field trip there so I think it would be a good idea. I will bring up the question of winter field trips at the next Committee Meeting.

Return to “Out of Area Sightings”