Brockholes Wetland Nature Reserve. 8.0.07.

Post any news of rare sightings from outside the area or any holiday information you may wish to pass on.
Chris Rae
Peregrine

Brockholes Wetland Nature Reserve. 8.0.07.

Post by Chris Rae »

nI went to the River Ribble at Brockholes last Saturday to look for the kingfisher and came across a party about to go on a guided tour of Lancashire Wildlife Trust's new Wetland Reserve led by their Reserve Manager a lady called Sophie Leadsom.The Trust has started work to restore the area to how it might have been some three to four hundred years ago, with the addition of some modern facilities in the form of a visitors' centre and suitable amenities. Look on the various websites to see details of what is to be done.See Gallery for pictures. When Sophie mentioned that scores of sandmartins had to re-locate to the river enbankment after the rains had damaged their nesting site adjacent to one of the lakes I thought "kingfisher".So in the afternoon I went looking for the bird that I had seen all week flying up and down the river but was unable to get any decent pictures.Lo and behold one bird settled on a log a little way out into the river then seemed to disappear somewhere in the enbankment.

Return to “Out of Area Sightings”