Lunt Meadows - Stilt Sandpiper

Post any news of rare sightings from outside the area or any holiday information you may wish to pass on.
ianball
Peregrine

Lunt Meadows - Stilt Sandpiper

Post by ianball »

Stilt Sand.jpg
Stilt Sand.jpg (111.22 KiB) Viewed 1381 times
Prospect of a new tick for Simon took us for a first visit to this tremendous reserve. Stilt Sandpiper showing very well, with Black Tailed Godwit, Avocet, Little Ringed Plover and Ruff. A pair of Black Necked Grebes swam close by, and a super male Garganey preening. Warblers singing everywhere added to a great couple of hours round the reserve.
Garganey.jpg
Garganey.jpg (563.55 KiB) Viewed 1381 times
Leonard Poxon
Little Egret

Re: Lunt Meadows - Stilt Sandpiper

Post by Leonard Poxon »

I couldn't resist going too, a lifer for me as well.
LPA_5846.jpg
LPA_5846.jpg (505.6 KiB) Viewed 1359 times
LPA_5873.jpg
LPA_5873.jpg (277.13 KiB) Viewed 1359 times
ianball
Peregrine

Post by ianball »

Great pics Len. On the way home y'day I realised it had been 22 years since I last saw one of these - Minsmere in '97.
Neville Root
Raven

Post by Neville Root »

I couldn't resist going either, but left it late (6.00pm Sun). Didn't matter, sun was behind the sandpiper so it showed very well in the scope, with the godwits, LRP and ringed plover for size comparison. Other sightings as per, Ian but alas not one of the reputed 6 garganey's on the site was showing, although a male B-N grebe was. 100's of swift overhead, but the hobby had attacked them shortly before I got there. Best of all, the car park was not locked at 7.30 as the guy with the key was scoping the sandpiper and didn't leave until after 8.

Return to “Out of Area Sightings”