D'arn Sarf again...

Post any news of rare sightings from outside the area or any holiday information you may wish to pass on.
ianball
Peregrine

D'arn Sarf again...

Post by ianball »

Holiday time and a trip to see best mate in Kent meant opportunities for year ticks for me and life ticks for 12 year old eldest, Simon, whose list expands ever further.
A 4am start on Tuesday saw us arriving in the Peterborough area soon after dawn. Common Crane was quickly under the belt along with half a dozen cracking Marsh Harrier. Five Red Kite supported us as we made our way to Ferry Meadows CP. Ten minutes of hirundine grilling eventually revealed the rather splendid Red Rumped Swallow. Then a bit further south, Paxton Pits revealed its female Ring Necked Duck. Three new ticks for Simon before 10am!
Alas, birding in Kent was relatively quiet with the winds in non-rarity direction. My friend had found Alpine Swift and Yellow Browed Warbler at Bockhill where he watches in the days before but all we had was a few Swallows, Whitethroats and Blackcaps! Oh well. Even a trip to Dungeness was quiet. Great White Egret, Yellow Wagtails, Bearded Tit, Cetti's Warbler stood out.
On our return today, we stopped off in Buckinghamshire where 2 Black Winged Stilts had appeared at Little Marlow. Nearby is Wendover, a well known location for Firecrest and soon we were listening and watching 3 birds. Oh yes, the 97 Red Kites we counted in this area was pretty spectacular.
So, plenty of new ticks for Simon and good to catch up on a few birds I've not seen for a few years. Another great trip d'arn sarf :-)

Return to “Out of Area Sightings”